Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Great Salt Lake

We started our last day in the city sitting upstairs and listening to a politician on television treat a complicated issue like a complicated issue:
While saying goodbye to the dogs:

On our way to the airport, we stopped of for a while at the Great Salt Lake itself:
To fit in with the rest of Utah, this lake is totally bizarre. First of all, the lake bed has a strange colour, and makes for even stranger looking footprints:
I wasn't the only one interested:Second of all, for all the lake there is in this lake, there's a whole lot of not lake in it too:
Have a closer look at this view:
See that giant, vaguely Eastern-looking palace in the background? Here's what it looks like from the front:The story we got is that it was built some time long ago at the edge of the lake, but eventually fell into disuse and disrepair:
The problem was that it the edge of the lake didn't want to stay where it was, so what started as a beach-front palace became a massive building a fair walk through a wet desert away from the lake:I think it's better this way. We need surreal spaces more than tourist traps anyway.

3 comments:

tamrika said...

phil, you are so funny. i wish you lived here, i am sure you don't wish you lived here, but it would be nice if you lived here or maybe even if you wished you lived here. but really what i am trying to say is that it would be nice to have you live here and be your friend more often than 2 days. (then or than?) i sometimes hate english because i mix everything up. but because i am the one mixing everything up, shall i hate myself and not english? celcna conference just ended. it was amazing. like really amazing. i wish chris was here for it. i think he would have said: "celcna conference was amazing, like really amazing". off i go.

Phil said...

I do wish I lived there! I was just wishing that when I was posting these pictures. And you know what, Salt Lake is one of the 3 or 4 places my Dad is thinking of moving to, so I might find my self in SLC for 2 days again. Maybe even once a year. Or maybe he'll move to Vegas. Who knows. By that time, my Russian should be pretty good, so it can be _my_ turn to hate myself.

K-Star said...

Wet desert. nice.