Saturday, March 16, 2013

A longer post about why I'm doing this

I started the ChronoOrder project for about three reasons:

First, I had some films I wanted to watch but kept putting off - in particular, Un Chien Andalou (b/c Dali made a film!?!?!) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (b/c Portlandia) and that 1954 movie where Charlton Heston plays Indiana Jones (b/c obviously. HT: Cracked). Watching the films in order meant that when the year came, I'd -have- to watch those movies.

Second, When Warner Brothers turned 75, the Princess Cinema in Waterloo showed a week of their best films, one decade per day, and I loved it. I loved it so hard. It added a new type of context to the films, and it made some film tropes that are commonplace now seem brand new. This is why I chose chronological order rather than, say, alphabetical order, or by-director, or the like.

And third, I had spent the last three weeks almost never leaving my house, spending all of my time watching TV or movies. This was obviously a problem. So I set a limit: I got to watch a film first thing in the morning, but then I couldn't watch anything more until I left the house to do something else.

The project worked. I saw great films, and I rejoined society. The selection of films was haphazard, mostly based on what I had around at the time, with large gaps between years and as many as 4 or 5 films in some years. But still, I enjoyed it, and I had made it from Un Chien Andalou in 1920 all the way to 1959. Then, while I was in the middle of watching The 400 Blows, my motherboard disintegrated.

So I thought, well, maybe I should do this for real. And tell other people about it so they can join in. And plan the films more carefully. And here we are.

All this means that you shouldn't feel like you have to participate. I don't want anyone to do any homework. I'll get something out of this project even if I'm the only one involved. But if you do get involved, you will surely double the radness.

-Phil

No comments: