Wednesday, April 10, 2013

1906 - The Story of the Kelly Gang

I watched this early Australian film and thought it was fairly incoherent. If raised arms weren't a gesture of surrender I probably would have understood even less. Maybe 1/4 to 1/5 of the film looked a lot like this:
 Oh, well, I thought, this is early film, and I still got to see a shootout with the rad-looking bulletproofish Kelly Armour:
But then I looked it up to see why I chose it. It turns out that what I actually watched were the 20 or so surviving minutes of the World's First Feature Length Film, put together with added intertitles by whoever made this video.

Then, to remind myself how old this film was I wikipedia'ed around a bit and found out that the shootout shown above took place in 1880. 26 years before the film was made. I.e., by the time people saw this film, the action it depicts was 5 years more recent than the Thriller album is today.

No comments: