Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Choice, and Next Week's Films

I think I'll plan 6 films a week max. Here's what I'll watch next week, probably starting tomorrow:


1906 The Story of the Kelly Gang
1907 Laughing Gas
1908 fantasmagorie
1909 Princess Nicotine; or, The Smoke Fairy
1910 Thomas Edison Frankenstein
1911 Little Nemo

More importantly, the following week involves the first time we have to choose the two films to actually watch. In 1916, there are three films listed:

20,000 leagues under the sea, which Wikipedia seems to describe as the first expensive special-effects blockbuster (including pseudo-underwater photography) to bomb, losing money and dooming its genre for years. Apparently Stephin Merritt thinks enough of it to have recorded a score for it in 2010, which I think recommends it.

Intolerance, which is supposed to be D.W. Griffith's masterpiece, and his response to public criticism of the film I'll be watching the previous day.

And Where Are My Children? which is fascinating for at least two reasons: First, it was written and directed by women (Including Lois Weber, who I'll get back to in '21), something that's still too rare almost 100 years later. Second, it is about ABORTION. Like, There's a film from 1916 about Abortion. What the hell did they think about abortion in 1916? How did they talk about it? Obviously I'd like to find out.

So, take this 12-second survey to help me choose two films. Check as many boxes as you want. Go crazy.


No comments: