Friday, December 21, 2007

Universals

So, I'm at the Unitarian Universalist Winter Solstice service, right, and there's a candle on my chair, and they say they're about to start the "spreading of the light" or something, so I start looking frantically for my candle! Where is it! I lost it! But, you know church, someone nice comes up smiling and gives me an extra one. I'm relieved for about 15 seconds, until I realize the candles are for people who want to STAND UP AND EXPRESS THEIR GRATITUDE FOR SOMETHING IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. Which I must have looked like I was frantically trying to ensure I could do. Um, uh, I guess, uh, thanks for, um, blogs. And new experiences. And friends. And 3/4 of the church being at least as shy as I was.

1 comment:

AMT said...

after reading this tale, i feel the need to tell you now, or rather i now feel the need to someday tell you, about how the couple who thought they were bribing nuns to get into see the statue of The David in Florence, while what they were really doing is buying huge, huge votive candles by accident.

church and candles are TRICKY.