Friday, February 15, 2008

Misadventure

When the television told me today would be "lovely," I believed it. It turned out this narrow glass had other plans for me:
It decided to pop out a few shards of glass while I was washing it, giving me the chance to carve it right into my right thumb.

The cut looked pretty deep, so I went to emergency for the first time. It's a brand-new state-of-the-art facility, which you can see for yourself by how sophisticated the waiting procedure is. I was treated immediately in triage, but for the stitches I had to wait in at least 4 different places.
Eventually a doctor came in and rolled out his suture kit, featuring ETHICON brand ethical sutures. After cleaning up the hastily but caringly applied iodine, he froze my thumb, which I didn't react to very well:
Once I came to, I was curious enough to take a look at the stitches. I love stitches. I love how they basically involve sewing you shut like a quilt. And tying cute little knots:
A bit more waiting, some fancy gauze, and a free tetanus shot later, I was good as new.

9 comments:

Not Available said...

I'm pleased that the news used the word 'lovely' to describe the weather. It's so rare that there is anything lovely in the news.

I cut myself so infrequently so when it does happen I get a little excited. It never seems to hurt that much.

Do I see three stitches? Congratulations.

Old folk singer said...

Well, you seem to be okay, so I'll just ask: who took the picture of you conked out? Are you having fun typing?

M said...

That's fucking queasy disgusting.

Feel better.

Phil said...

Thanks! I already feel pretty great. Typing is a bit of a pain, but I've been doing more coding than I have all year, for some reason.

I actually took that picture myself. I wasn't entirely passed out, fortunately, and it made me feel better to focus on something other than how f*cking queasy disgusting I felt.

M said...

By the way, I forgot to respond to your guest blogging idea: I am all for it. 100%

Phil said...

Marianne, Awesome. Now come to Edmonton so we can make it happen. You can stay at my place. You probably won't.

M said...

Hahaha! No, fool. You can blog from Edmonton on my blog, and I will blog from New York on yours. That is the MAGIC of the internet.

Phil said...

O I SEE.

I was wondering because guest comics use the original artist's characters in their own style. So like for my blog you would use my characters in your format? That's why I thought we'd have to be in the same place.

But if you used your own characters in my format on my blog, we could be wherever we want. I guess my brother did that one time.

AMT said...

i'd like to point out two things.

one: .... aigghkjhlljkgjh!

two: how come you did not mention this in your description of what you did last week?